Maine Potatoes au Gratin
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1¼ teaspoons table salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 ½ lbs russet potatoes peeled and sliced into about 1/8″ thick rounds
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until the foaming subsides.
- Add onion and cook while stirring occasionally until lightly browned and soft (about 4 minutes).
- Add garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook for about another 30 seconds.
- Add potatoes, chicken broth, cream, and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for about 10 minutes; discard bay leaves.
- Transfer the mixture to an 8″x8″ baking dish and press into an even layer.
- Sprinkle the top evenly with cheese.
- Bake in oven about 15 minutes until the cream is bubbling around the edges and the top is golden brown.
- Let cool 10 minutes before serving.