- 3 1/2 Tbsp butter, divided
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped (1 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 (20 oz) pkg. refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
- 8 oz. chopped cooked ham*
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten to blend whites and yolks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
How to Make Breakfast Hash
- Melt butter in hot skillet: Melt 3 Tbsp butter in a 12-inch cast iron skillet (or other heavy skillet) over medium-high heat.
- Saute pepper and onion: Add bell pepper and onion and saute 3 minutes.
- Brown hash browns: Toss potatoes in with the bell pepper mixture then spread into an even layer, season with salt and pepper to taste. Let cook tossing only occasionally until starting to brown about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Heat ham in mixture, push mixture to side: Toss in ham and cook until potatoes are tender, about 3 minutes longer. Push potatoes to one side of the pan. Reduce heat to low.
- Pour in eggs and scramble: Melt remaining 1/2 Tbsp butter in empty half of skillet then pour in eggs. Season with salt and pepper and cook and scramble until eggs are just set and no longer runny.
- Add cheese: Toss mixtures together, sprinkle with cheese and toss just a few times.
- Finish with parsley: Sprinkle with parsley and serve warm.