Maine German Potato Salad
- 2 pounds Maine boiling potatoes, scrubbed but not peeled
- 4 strips bacon
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and cut into thin slices, including some of the green
- ½ cup minced celery, including some leaves
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- Cut the potatoes in half if they are large, put them in a pot and add enough lightly salted water to cover them by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, and boil gently, uncovered, for about 15 minutes, until just tender. Drain.
- While the potatoes are still warm, peel and slice, or cube them, into a large serving bowl.
- In a skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Drain. Pour out all but 2 tablespoons of bacon fat. Add scallions and celery, and cook until soft, about 2 minutes. Mix with potato pieces.
- In the same skillet, mix 1/4 cup of water with cider vinegar, sugar, salt, paprika and dry mustard. Stirring with a whisk, bring to a boil and pour over salad. Crumble bacon over the top, and serve warm.