Maine Dinner Party Potatoes, Duchess-style
- 4-5 Maine russet potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled and quartered
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place potatoes in large pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until tender, about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Drain well. Place back over low heat for two minutes, making sure potatoes are dry.
- Press potatoes through a potato ricer, a strainer or a food mill into a large bowl.
- Stir in the milk, butter, egg yolks, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a pastry bag or resealable plastic bag and a large star tip, pipe potatoes into six mounds on the baking sheet.
- Brush with beaten egg and bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown.