- 4 large Maine baking potatoes
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/3 cup flour, more if needed
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, plus more for serving
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bake potatoes until fork tender. When cool enough to handle, scoop out pulp and set aside.
- Cook bacon until crispy in your soup pot. Leaving the drippings in the pot, drain bacon on paper towel/plate, crumble and set aside. Whisk flour into bacon drippings to make a roux.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes, until smooth and thickened. Whisk in milk and cream.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes until thickened. Add scooped out potato pulp, cheese and sour cream.
- Mix everything together. Break up potato pieces with back of your spoon. Season well with salt, pepper and cayenne if using.
- Put soup in serving bowls and garnish with crumbled bacon, more grated cheddar cheese, and green onions.