The Maine Potato Board has a position open for an agricultural engineer technician.
Agricultural Engineer Technician
The Agricultural Engineer Technician is responsible for carrying out the duties as outlined by the Executive Director, under the direction of the Maine Potato Board. The position reports directly to the Agricultural Engineer of the Maine Potato Board.
The duties of the Agricultural Engineer Technician are, but not limited to, the following:
- Potato Storage Research – Conduct storage research and storage evaluations. The position will coordinate research activities, monitor daily research needs and operations, coordinate facility maintenance and perform potato storage related research as directed.
- Commercial Potato Storage – In conjunction with the Potato Marketing Improvement Program, the Agricultural Engineer Technician will be responsible for responding to grower inquiries on storage management issues. This may include: helping growers to implement an integrated pest management approach to minimizing storage issues, assist growers with potato storage design and construction and assist growers with ventilation system design and management.
- Water/Irrigation – In conjunction with the Agricultural Engineer, the position will be responsible for assisting growers with water management plan development, water storage/pond location, design and construction. Assist growers with design and selection of irrigation equipment. Assist growers with irrigation management activities such as scheduling and techniques.
- Energy – The Agricultural Engineer will provide growers with information on energy conservation and efficiency as it relates to their overall operation. This may include the development of alternative energy sources as well as technology that will reduce current energy needs.
- Equipment Operation and Calibration – The position will provide growers assistance on operation and calibration of equipment to include: planters, seeders, combines, potato harvesters, seed equipment and sprayers and will assist growers with research and implementation of new technology such as GPS.
The Agricultural Engineer is a full-time position with the Maine Potato Board, with responsibilities for the overall planning and implementation of programs and activities planned by the Ag Engineer and Executive Director of the Maine Potato Board as outlined in the duties of the Agricultural Engineer Technician. This position reports directly to the Agricultural Engineer of the Maine Potato Board.
- Background in agriculture or related field and experience in agricultural engineering or other related fields of engineering to include civil background.
- Strong communication skills required, and the ability to work as part of a team to build partnerships to benefit and expand the industry. Excellent computer skills essential including AutoCAD, Microsoft Office and Carlson Civil.
- Demonstrated ability to work within the agriculture field and effectively implement programs to benefit the industry.
- Ability to undertake multi-tasks and follow them to completion is essential.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in agricultural engineering or related field preferred, commensurate experience will be considered. Current knowledge of the Maine and/or national potato industry is preferred.
Interested parties must submit a cover letter and resume with three references by March 5, 2021 to the Maine Potato Board, Attn: Jeannie Tapley, 744 Main Street, Presque Isle, ME 04769 or email@example.com.
Maine Potato Board is an Equal Opportunity Employer.